Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Favorites of 2010 - art related

I finally get to sit down and post something new! Following the examples of Tasha and Amanda, of course. I've been meaning to write about two good concerts I attended at the end of the year so here I go.

On Nov. 30th, my twin, Ryan and I had the chance to go to the Commodore to see Black Mountain live. They were great! I love Amber's voice and wow, Stephen can sure sing! It was really loud like always, and I know that our ears got a bit damaged, but it was worth it. :)  That's what I say now, we'll see in twenty years.


Then, on Dec. 2nd, Ryan and I had a lovely date and we got to see Tame Impala at the Biltmore cabaret. This venue is in Burnaby and it's small and always fun to go to. I love checking out what the young crowds are wearing, and yes, I can say that  now in my mid-30's. Yikes! Tame Impala were super, super good.  I had a lot of fun and they made me dance. They are are a really young band, so I'm sure they will only get better. The only bad thing that night was that there was actually a mosh pit. Really? Those are so not needed and what's worse is that all these tall, heavy guys expect these petite girls at the front to be able to carry them. I have never liked them, as you can tell. No, I was not part of it - I try to stand on the sides rather than the front. Other than that, I loved seeing them with Ryan. ♥

Tame Impala


Trying to think of favorite albums for 2010, I would have to say that the soundtrack for Eclipse, is at the top. It has Metric, Black Angels, Black Keys, Jack White, and Florence and the Machine to name some of the great bands in it. It's a great compilation, and you do not have to be a fan of the Twilight series to enjoy a nice album compilation. Compilations are actually some of my favorite albums due to the mix of artists.

Favorite movies, there were a few last year. I loved Tangled!! It was such a great movie and my girls simply loved it. Sofia even cried, which is extremely rare for her to do during a movie, but it really touched her. So cute. We also liked Megamind. I enjoyed watching a villain turn into a "super-hero", which does not happen often. And of course, who didn't like Toy Story 3? I don't think anyone who has watched it has said anything bad about it. It was funny and sad at the same time. I even shed a couple of tears, while some of my other friends bawled. :)

Now for adult movies, I loved the Social Network and the latest Harry Potter movie. These are two movies that have really stayed in my psyche. Blogging about them shows how much I enjoyed them. I did see a lot of movies last year, but the ones mentioned now are the ones that really shone in direction, special effects, and screenplays.

As for books, there were many and there will be more, but favorites? I have too many. Instead, I will try to blog on the ones that I find are really a good read. Right now, I'm reading Jodi Picoult's new novel, House Rules, which is about a boy who has Asperger's and I like to learn about Asperger's and autism as much as I can. I do not know a child who is close to me that suffers from either one, but I have met a couple of boys who have Asperger's and it was not something you can pinpoint right away, and it has really interested me. Plus, if I want to be a teacher in the future, I'm sure I will encounter students with autism, and I would like to be knowledgeable, rather than not.

Looking forward to more concerts this year and many more movies. What were your faves?

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blog Diana. I'll have to check out Black Mountain.

    ReplyDelete