Thursday, July 7, 2011

Classical music

Who loves classical music?

I do!

If I could have one wish come true by a genie, it would be to be able to play the violin and the piano. That way I could play the pieces of music that I so adore. My favorite composer is Ludwig van Beethoven. Can we say genius?

Detail of portrait by Joseph Wilbrod Mahler (1804)


His personal life story is sad, like so many other composers (i.e., Mozart). Stories that break your heart and makes you wonder if their genius was what caused them to pay such a price. Even though he eventually became deaf, he continued to compose, conduct and perform.

His love life is so depressing and one can see why the music he wrote to his "loves" are so full of emotion. Two of my favorite compositions are Moonlight Sonata and Fur Elise. Each one dedicated to a woman that could not return his affections, as he was just a "commoner". Of course, all of his music is incredibly beautiful and his Ninth Symphony is so inspiring and such an ode to brotherhood. I learned the chorus in Spanish as a kid, and it always made me emotional. Who doesn't want all men to be like brothers?

If you have not had a chance to listen to his music, do so. There are many other composers that I really enjoy, but Beethoven is my favorite. Who is your favorite composer?


No comments:

Post a Comment