Thursday, October 28, 2010

Following a Labyrinth...

I have so many things to talk about and write about, but I will narrow it down to a movie this time:

Pan's Labyrinth


It's the story of a girl in Spain in the year of 1944. Spain had just had a civil war from 1936-1939, and the Spain in this movie is the one during the Franco era.  There are so many things to say about that war and Guillermo Del Toro, the director, decides to tell the story of Ofelia, an 11 yr old whose mother has just gotten married to a tyrannnical military officer (who is just one of the most evil characters I've seen in a movie). The movie is in Spanish with English subtitles, but if you don't like subtitles, please, please give this movie a chance, it is worth it.

Guillermo del Toro originally wrote the part of Ofelia for a nine year old, but Ivana Baquero, who was 11 when she auditioned, got the part. Guillermo had to rewrite it to suit her. I have to say she is amazing in this movie.  Also, I am so glad they chose an older girl because if a younger had played Ofelia, it would have traumatized me. Please bear in mind that there is violence and Del Toro does not soften the subject just because it's the story of a young girl.

The actor who plays the stepfather, Captain Vidal, is terrific - his name is Sergi Lopez i Ayats. There is an opening scene where he is ruthless with a man who is thought to be a rebel. During this time, there were still many who did not want to be part of the Fascist movement, and they fought with their lives for change. Del Toro makes sure we know which side he is in, as he makes this character, from Franco's military, just pure evil. 

I love the fantasy element of this movie, just love it. The faun in the movie is at once a bit frightening and mesmerizing and we are taken on this wonderful trip with the faun and Ofelia.

The special effects and make up are superb. The music? Wonderful. There is a lullaby in the movie that was actually nominated for best original score (it's on YouTube under Pan's Labyrinth Song). It was composed by Javier Navarrete. The movie actually won the following Oscars in 2006: Best Art Direction, Best Cinematography and Best Makeup. It was also nominated for Best Original Screenplay and Best Foreign Language Film. It was one of the top critically acclaimed movies the year it came out.

I love that the main character is a girl, a very strong girl and Del Toro's talent shines in this movie. The ending of the movie is super, super sad, but happy at the same time. This movie gives a gilmpse of what life was probably like in Spain in the 40's, and how children are one of the most affected when there is political turmoil. If you have seen it, what did you think?
 

1 comment:

  1. I haven't seen it. I originally wanted to see it, but was warned not to due to the extreme violence. I am really sensitive to that kind of thing. Andrew told me the gory details, which bothered me even hearing it second hand. It's a shame because I love the idea, and the whole fantasy thing, but I'm sure it would be to disturbing for me. Maybe you could tell me a more tame version.

    ReplyDelete