Friday, October 15, 2010

Surrealist dreamer

Time to talk about the fine arts.

I first learned of Surrealism in grade 12. I know, it was a long time ago! The reason why I even came to know about this movement in the fine arts, was because of my Human Studies class. The topic for my research paper was Surrealism.

Ahhhh... Surrealism.

I had no idea what beautiful paintings had been done by such unique artists. They represent courage to me. They decided to go ahead and explore their imaginations and expand from the existing customs. The Dada movement preceded Surrealism, if you must know, and it's a movement that is also interesting, but I would have to do more research on it before I say more. I only mention it, because some of the founders of the surrealist movement, had been involved with the Dada movement (against the bourgeoise, etc).

From doing my research I discovered one of my favorite painters Salvador Dali, along with Max Ernst, Frida Kahlo and Joan Miro. It inspired me so much that I tried to tackle surrealism on one of my paintings that year, Of course, it's not at the same level but it taught me to use the images in my head and not to copy still life or a picture. The philosophical aspect of the movement was not entrenched into my psyche as much as the paintings of the era were. They had good ideas but really, a lot of them came from families of means, so I think that to shun one's own background is always a bit hypocritical. Don't you think?

My daughter, Sofia, questions me why I always draw weird faces (my "profile" oicture), it makes me laugh. I hope that as she gets older she will find it in her to be as creative as she wants to and explore all different types of styles of making art. The same for Samantha. There are so many! Cubism, realism, impressionism, etc., and they are all just as lovely.


Do you have a favorite surrealist painter/writer/artist? Below is one of my favorite paintings, it has so many details:  Salvador Dali's The Persistence of Memory, 1931



 

3 comments:

  1. Check out Bob's collages:
    http://robertpollard.net/2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know a whole lot about surrealism, but Salvador Dali is not one of my favorites. His art is definitely creative and fun to look at, but I read a little bit about him some years ago and a lot of his art is about male genitalia, rape and other sexually based topics. I don't get that or see it myself. Maybe you could expand for me. It's been years since I read that info, but it bothered me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I know he was a "twisted" person and I do not admire all of his paintings, but I love how creative he was. He pretty much did as he pleased in his personal life, but I am more interested in him as a painter and the way he used colors and tons of details in his paintings, rather than him as the man he was and his philosophies. :)

    ReplyDelete